Unusual Lilo "LI" problem

I've recently install a new potato system that's been working well for a couple of weeks.  Yesterday I compiled a custom kernel (2.2.14) (installed using make-kpkg), and now I can't boot my Linux drive.  I CAN boot using the rescue floppy, and everything works fine.  Normally the "LI" problem was easily fixed by rerunning lilo, but that doesn't seem to be working.  This type of setup worked for a year and a half on my old system.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

I've been dual booting Win95 and potato on a SCSI disc with BootMagic.  /dev/sda1 is my windows partition, /dev/sda2 is my Linux partition.  I do have a tiny partition for the boot manager.  I've tried uninstalling lilo with lilo -u  and using it with and without the linear option in my conf.  I have an older IDE drive on /dev/hda1, but I don't see how that would cause a problem.

here's my lilo.conf

boot=/dev/sda2
root=/dev/sda2
linear (tried it without this also)
install=/boot/boot.b
delay=20
map=/boot/map
image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-orig
	label=Linux-orig
	read-only

Actually, I got the L01 01 01 01 problem first, but this is where I am now.

--
Marc
http://www.matwreck.org/marc