Stock kernel config info?

Is it possible to determine what the configuration settings
were for the stock kernels that Debian packages?

I need to recompile the kernel (1st time), and I would like
to change as little as possible, since the stock kernel is
working well for the most part. (I just need to enable
ide-scsi module support for a CD-RW install).

Also, it appears that you cannot simply compile the modules
and install on the existing kernel binary (I tried this
and got a bunch of error messages at start-up, and lots of
stuff stopped working, including my parallel port). I am
surprised by this, expecting that the modules would operate
more independently, but I suppose not?

Please CC direct to me, as I am only on this list
intermittently.

Thanks,
--
Terry Hancock