How to fix missing modules after kernel update?

I'm running an up-to-the-minute potato box. Today I compiled a custom 2.2.14
using dkpg-make. It installs and boots fine, except for errors produced by
some things that were modules in the standard kernel (nic driver, NLSs,...)
and are not modules anymore (either built in or not compiled at all).

Those modules are reported "not found" during bootup. I suspect they are still
scheduled for auto-load somewhere, but obviously I can't de-select them in
modconf because they are not available in the new kernel...

Is there any clean way to resolve this?

Thanks a lot

Christian