Re: System.Map question

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 01:48:34AM +0000, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> "Hausheer, Geoffrey" wrote:
> >
> > I just installed 'frozen' as my first trial of debian.  I had a general
> > question:
> > I have two System.Map files on my system.  a /System.Map and
> > /boot/System.map-2.2.14
> > My system crashed (damn laptop suspend and X), and when I rebooted I got a
> > message about something worng with
> > System.Map-2.2.14 in /boot.  I looked and the file was ancient (Mid
> > January), whereas I rebuilt the kernel last weekend.  I just copied the file
> > in / to /boot and all was well, but do I really need both of these?  I also
> > have a vmlinuz-2.2.14 in /boot.  This is obviously not my current kenel, nor
> > is it my backup kernel.  Do I need it?
>

> 	On my properly configured (I hope) system in /boot there is a
> "System.map" which is a symlink to "System.map-2.2.14", and "vmlinuz"

this is an old no longer required redhatism..

old kernels needed this, but no more. now the System.map should be
named System.map-`uname -r`  so if you have 2 kernels, 2.2.14 and
2.2.15 you should have 2 system.maps System.map-2.2.14 and
System.map-2.2.15  no symlinks.

> which is a symbolic link to "vmlinuz-2.2.14".  I have a "vmlinuz" in
> root, which is symlink to /boot/vmlinuz, but no symlink in root about
> "System.map".

yup System.map belongs in /boot though i have seem slackware systems
throw it all in /

vmlinuz symlinks are purly for the convenience of lilo. it does not
matter if/where they are.

> 	If you use "make-kpkg", the deb package created should take care of
> all this when you install it.

yup but it won't make symlinks of System.map they are not needed and
are in fact a bad idea, they prevent you from booting other kernels
versions without one getting a bad system.map.