locale problem

Hello

Since doing a rather large dist-upgrade to woody recently, I have
been experiencing problems with my locale settings.

For one thing, I still cannot use German Umlauts with 'less'; it just
prints '?'s instead of the actual characters...

Another thing is when I upgrade packages, in the process of doing so,
I get this printed to the console:

     [...]
     perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
     LANGUAGE = (unset),
     LC_ALL = (unset),
     LC_TIME = "de_CH",
     LC_NUMERIC = "de_CH",
     LC_CTYPE = "de_CH",
     LC_MONETARY = "de_CH",
     LC_COLLATE = "de_CH",
     LANG = "de_CH.ISO-8859-1"
     host:~#

My locale should be set to "de_CH" (Switzerland, German part).
Am I missing a package that should be installed?

What things might need some fixing?

Cheers
Sven