Garbled fonts with X Windows in potato

Hi,

I recently upgraded the linux half of a friends' dual-boot box from RH
6.0 to Debian potato (2.2r2) (actually looked over her shoulder while
she did it so that she'd get the experience and be more comfortable
with Debian in the future).

Primary problem I encountered:

X-Windows garbles all the fonts it uses, to make it unreadable.  I'm
not only talking about fonts in a given xterm (which one often
encounters after, e.g., viewing a binary file with more), it garbles
menu-items, words in xdm's login screen, title-bars, etc in addition
to all fonts in xterms.

I installed X through tasksel, used the svga server, installed both
75dpi and 100dpi fonts (though tried it again with only 75dpi with
same problem).  System video card is S3 Trio64 (764), but xfree86's S3
accelerated server doesn't work at all when I tried it, and anXious
identifies the server for the card at SVGA by default, so I would
think that would be safe.

Suggestions much appreciated.  I'd be happy to supply any additional
info needed.

Thanks so much and happy new year,

Daniel

PS. Strange sidenote: surprisingly, though this never occured in
RH6.0, something weirdly similar occurs for her in Win95, where all
fonts are garbled until one exits to DOS, exits back to Win95 and
fonts are restored.  Hmm...  I checked BIOS for some system-wide
misconfiguration, but no joy.

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics