Re: New course for Debian University

On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 02:50:56AM +0000, Rob VanFleet wrote:

> The gist I got from it was that the headers in /usr/src/linux should be those
> headers that glibc was compiled against, regardless of what kernel you're
> actually running.  Like if you were running potato with the kernel upgraded to
> 2.2.18, you should still have the source (or the headers, at least) to 2.2.17
> in /usr/src/linux.
>
> At least, that's what I thought, feel free to correct me.

no the reason Linus says to leave /usr/src/linux alone is because he
does not use debian, and pretty much every distro *except* debian has
/usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm and /usr/include/linux
-> /usr/src/linux/include/linux, and the distribution then installs
the kernel source to whatever kernel they ship with in
/usr/src/linux.

so if you remove /usr/src/linux you remove all the glibc headers which
breaks your ability to compile ordinary programs.  This is why Linus
says just leave /usr/src/linux alone, its because distributions insist
on having the broken /usr/include/ symlinks.  since debian does not
have these symlinks and does not even install any kernel source in
/usr/src/linux this is all irrelevant on Debian.

you can add a /usr/src/linux symlink on debian but it doesn't affect
anything since /usr/include has no symlinks pointing there.  where it
*DOES* break things is redhat, and everything following redhat's
lead.  (iow, everything except debian and possibly slack)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/