Re: mount /dev/fd0 crashes system

on Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 12:54:47PM -0500, mino (mino59@mindspring.com) wrote:
> I updated my system to "woody" and custom built a 2.4.0test12 kernel.
> With a floppy in the drive
> cd /floppy
> ls
> never returns any files

Right.  You have to mount the device first.  There are automounter
packages which will take care of this for you automatically, but you've
got other problems to deal with first.

> If I do
> mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
> the light on the floppy drive goes on... and stays on... forever. At
> this point my system is completely frozen and I have to to a cold
> reboot.

Not good.

What do you see when you do:

    $ cat /proc/filesystems

...you should have msdos or vfat among the output.

How about explicitly specifying the filesystem:

    $ mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
    $ mount -t vfat  /dev/fd0 /floppy

> I only tried this with MSDOS formatted diskettes so far.
>
> /etc/fstab has a line
> /dev/fd0    /floppy    auto (plus a couple of numbers which I can't
> remember off the top of my head).

What I suspect is that you are trying to mount the device with an 'auto'
option which is cycling through a list of available filesystems and is
hanging on one of these.  Any output in /var/log -- kern.log, messages,
or debug, in particular.