Getting Started with Debian: Package Selection Sanity

Hi everyone,

I've been using Red Hat for a reasonable amount of time, but I'm a total
newbie to Debian; I'm just installing potato for the first time today.

I'm starting to get familiar with the tools, but I must admit that I'm a
little overwhelmed by the number of packages in the distribution.  And
so far, I've only been looking at the one binary CDROM.  :)

Is there a sane approach to initially selecting packages?  Is it best to
use the tasks, or go through the entire list package-by-package?  Would
you start with just the CD and then add the FTP site to sources.list
later, or consider everything all at once?

Acutally, I have a further question about the task packages.  Using
dselect, if I try to purge a package that has been added bacause of a
task, it tells me, of course, that the task package depends on the one I
want to remove.  Should I remove the task?  Will all the other packages
that were installed because of it remain?

Sorry for the newbie questions.  Thanks for any help.

--
David Steinberg
steinber@interchange.ubc.ca