update-alternatives for non-root users

Hello!

After having migrated to Debian 2.2, one feature I found particularly
interesting is it's alternative system. Since it can easily be used to
change the default window manager (using it in
conjunction with "x-window-manger") I'm wondering whether it only changes
the system-wide default window manager, or whether update-alternatives can
be used on a per-user basis, so that each user can selected his/her
preferred window manager? Or does an ordinary user have to resort to the
"traditional" way of editing ".xinitrc" and adding an "exec" line for the
window manager he/she wants to use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Greetings,

	Holger