Re: OFFTOPIC: can't start Quake2

Pollywog wrote:

> I installed Quake2 according to the instructions at
> http://www.linuxgames.com/quake/Quake-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.2
>
> but when I try to start it I get this:
>
> lilypad:/usr/local/games/quake2->./quake2 +set vid_ref softx
> Added packfile ./baseq2/pak0.pak (1106 files)
> Added packfile ./baseq2/pak2.pak (2 files)
> execing default.cfg
> couldn't exec config.cfg
> Console initialized.
>
> ------- sound initialization -------

is anything else using the sound device? for me when i load unreal
tournament and something is using /dev/dsp then it pukes hard i must
ssh in from another machine and kill it.

if you have no sound do you know if the game works without sound?
some programs may just die with no warning if no soundcard/drivers
are found.

nate

--
:::