Setting terminal defaults & shutdown (patato 2.2r0)

I'm trying to set the default Xterm size (columns and rows) and font. I
was told that they should be specified in .Xdefaults, but I have yet to
find any documentation which covers the format required. I also saw some
mention that Debian uses .Xresources rather than .Xdefaults, but have no
more idea about how it should be set up than I have about .Xdefaults.

I am also trying to find out how I set shutdown so that it can be operated
by a normal user, rather than requiring root access. I set shutdown itself
as suid, which allows a normal user to shutdown from the command line.
However, I've yet to get gshutdown to operate from the menu for anything
other than root access.

Any help would be appreciated.

paul.

paulm@waitrose.com
Paul Marwick - Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, UK