Re: bash-question

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 11:55:13AM +0100, Stephan Kulka wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 25, 2000 at 10:21:52AM +0100, Stephan Kulka wrote:
> > > That's quite a newbie question, but I don't know what to do.
> > > Yesterday I made a new directory for programming, I added this directory
> > > with export to my PATH. Yesterday everything went fine, but today I always
> > > get the error command not found. I checked my PATH, it i so.k. and the
> > > compiled programs work when I type ./foo
> > > What's wrong??
> >
> > Today you logged on afresh, and so the path has to be set again.
>
> The strange thing is that I just checked with echo $PATH and I still found
> my path I exported yesterday. But when I loooked closer I found out that,
> I used a semicolon to separate my directories instead of a colon. Is
> there away to change that.

If you still find the path you exported yesterday then either A) you
didn't logoff or B) you used some of the bash-startup files to set
the path. In either case the part after the semi-colon is ignored
as the semi-colon is normally used in shell scripts to make the
rest of the line a comment.

In case A it's highly unlikely that it worked yesterday, so probably
you somehow somewhere managed to get your path set at logon.  Places
to look for are /etc/profile, /etc/environment, /etc/bash.bashrc (?),
~/.bashrc, ~/.profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.bash_profile. Good luck.

--
groetjes, carel