Re: Kernel 2.4 on potato

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 09:25:32PM +0400, Rino Mardo wrote:
> hi.  not wanting to reinvent the wheel, is it possible to use the kernel
> 2.4 with potato?  if yes then what files, if any, should i get and from
> where?  i've heard people say that it is possible but being the stubborn
> me i like to see it for myself so i'm willing to spend lots of time to
> make it work (if it's possible).

I'm using kernel 2.4 on my potato box without any problems. I've installed
modutils from woody to recognize new directories organization under
/lib/modules/ and ppp package from woody to make ppp work as a module with
such modutils configuration:

alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

With these two modifications everything works just fine. Here you have
official list of needed packages from kernel 2.4.0-test10 source:

o  Gnu C                  2.91.66          # gcc --version
o  Gnu make               3.77             # make --version
o  binutils               2.9.1.0.25       # ld -v
o  util-linux             2.10o            # kbdrate -v
o  modutils               2.3.18           # insmod -V
o  e2fsprogs              1.19             # tune2fs --version
o  pcmcia-cs              3.1.21           # cardmgr -V
o  PPP                    2.4.0            # pppd --version
o  isdn4k-utils           3.1beta7         # isdnctrl 2>&1|grep version

BTW I use e2fsprogs 1.18 from potato without any problems. Any other newer
packages like pcmcia-cs or isdn4-utils I don't use so I don't care about
them.

--
|Leszek Gerwatowski|    _/_|_\
"Don't fix it if it isn't broken"