Re: procmail

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 05:07:42PM -0200, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Hi to all!
>
> I am using fetchmail+exim+mutt as an email system. All the incomming emails
> goes to /var/spool/mail/myaccount. I would like now to store the different
> messages in separate mailboxes files defined in /home/myaccount. I know (from
> this list! ;)) that this can be done using procmail. I have read the
> documentation, but I would really appreciate a help regarding the
> following questions:
>
> 1) How does procmail start?

first recommendation:

	apt-get update
	apt-get install exim-doc-html
	lynx http://localhost/doc/exim/manual.html
	:)

nonetheless, here's my take, which may be wrong...

in /etc/exim.conf, under TRANSPORTS you should have something like

	# This transport is used for procmail
	procmail_pipe:
	  driver = pipe
	  command = "/usr/bin/procmail -d ${local_part}"
	  return_path_add
	  delivery_date_add
	  envelope_to_add
	  check_string = "From "
	  escape_string = ">From "
	  user = $local_part
	  group = mail

and then, further down in the DIRECTORS section, something like

	# This director runs procmail for users who have a .procmailrc file
	procmail:
	  driver = localuser
	  transport = procmail_pipe
	  require_files = ${local_part}:+${home}:+${home}/.procmailrc:+/usr/bin/procmail
	  no_verify

according to the exim_doc_html package:
> If an item in a `require_files' list does not contain any forward slash
> characters, it is taken to be the user (and optional group, separated by a
> comma) to be used for testing subsequent files in the list.
so "${local_part}:" establishes the username to use in the
checking for existence of the following items:
	$home
		<email sent to unknownuser@system.tld won't have
		any ~unknownuser/ directory, so it'll fail>
	$home/.procmailrc
		<anyone who doesn't have a ~/.procmailrc file won't
		automatically run procmail, either>
	/usr/bin/procmail
		<yes, procmail hasta exist in order to run :) >

thus any user who's got a ~/.procmailrc file, will automatically
have procmail run on any incoming mail.

--
There are only two places in the world where time takes
precedence over the job to be done.  School and prison.

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/

volunteer to document your experience for next week's
newbies -- http://www.eGroups.com/messages/newbieDoc