Re: cdr recomendations

>I have recently installed a CDRW drive on my machine. I chose a Philips
>CDRW800, a 4x 8x 32x drive. It is IDE and Linux needs to see CDR drives as
>SCSI - so a little configuring of the kernel and a couple of lines in
>/etc/lilo.conf was all it took. I now have both my CD-ROM and CDRW drives
>recognised as SCSI and the Linux software (especially XCDRoast) works very
>well indeed. As long as you are OK compiling a kernel you should have no
>problem at all with an IDE drive.

I didn't recompile a kernel (although I'm running kernel 2.2.18pre21 from a deb
in woody). I simply added "hdd=ide-scsi" to the append option in /etc/lilo.conf.
I also added the modules sg.o (generic scsi support) and ide-scsi.o (ide scsi
emulation) to make it work. I added these using modconf. HTH.

Scott