Network config...why so many??

--- Terry Boon <terry@counterfactual.org> wrote:

> /etc/network/interfaces is where you may want
> to look.  Here's mine as
> an example (with one ethernet card):
>
>    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration
> file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
>    # The loopback interface
>    iface lo inet loopback
>
>    # The first network card - this entry was
> created during the Debian
>    # installation
>    # (network, broadcast and gateway are
> optional)
>    iface eth0 inet static
> 	   address 172.16.0.2
> 	   netmask 255.255.255.0
> 	   network 172.16.0.0
> 	   broadcast 172.16.0.255
>    #	gateway 172.16.0.1

Hi all, I'm just curious. why are there so many
files that apparently hold the same information?
I thought the network configuration were kept in
files hosts, hostname, gateways, route.something,
and a few others that I can't think of the
names..  now there's this file called interfaces?
how will I know which files to change and which
ones not to change? I have been looking through
many many books and docs and this is the first
time I've heard of the interfaces file. why have
all of the other files if everything can be
configured in this one interfaces file?

xucaen