Re: cdr recomendations

    DP>  Hi,
    DP>
    DP> I'm thinking of buying a cd writer.
    DP>
    DP> The howto suggests that most ide drives should work fine with
    DP> Linux.
    DP>
    DP> But I was just wondering what modals people have had good
    DP> results with and more importantly if there are any to avoid.
    DP>
    DP> thanks

If you haven't decided as yet, I'll put in a plug for the Yamaha 2100E
IDE CD Rewriter. Its speeds are 16x Write, 10x Rewrite, 40x Read. It was
the fastest IDE burner on the market when I bought it just over 4 weeks
ago, although I don't know if that is still true.

I have found it to be an excellent burner. I have only been using
brand-name media (Maxell, Imation) and have not had a single coaster.

Last time I checked the HOWTO, it wasn't listed as a supported burner
but it has been working perfectly for me.

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW2100E          Rev: 1.0D
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com