Re: HOW CAN I INSTALL QT2.2 ON POTATO?

Raffaele Sandrini wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I must install the newest version on my box. Deb has nice precompiled
> packs so i haven't to compile it or myself.... But i can't get it on my
> computer.. If i add im my sources file the unstable path then apt want to ugrade my
> whole system (thats ok) but if i use the --no-ubgrade option it wants to
> install xfree 4. I want no Xfree 4 on my computer i prefer the older version.
> Qt has lots of depencies... Whats the simliest way to get QT without changing
> my whole system?

i just did this last night, i wanted to install XMPS (DivX, ASF media
player).
I didn't want to install the debianzed version because that may break
existing
applications, so i just compiled the source in /usr/local/qt per the
directions
in the qt source package, then when i run XMPS i do:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/qt/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/avifile/bin/aviplay

this way i can keep QT1/kde1.1 and use qt2 stuff at the same time. I
installed
the kde2/qt2 packages at work and am not satisfied with their stability
so
i did it this way for my home desktop.

although this may not be a good solution if you are planning on running
something like KDE.

nate

--
:::