Re: irq timeouts - CDROM

Yes you (Gary) are right the problem happens cosistently with some cd's but far infrequently with others. What catches my intrest is that this did not occur with Red Hat . Are the cdrom drivers different between the two dristibutions ? From dmesg I notice that Debian used "Uniform CD driver revision 3.11" I don't remember if
Red Hat used a different one. I had thought that CD-ROM support was built into the kernel itself. In any case I wonder if it would be possible to use red hat drivers with debian. Though I am begining to love Debian for its size, do-it-yourself philosophy and the co-operative user base, the red hat driver was certainly better in that I was able to read some defective cd's too, that I just can't mount in debian.
sincerely
balbir thomas