Re: normalizing mp3s under debian/linux

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 16:45:17 +0100
Robert Waldner <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Dec 2000 10:17:27 EST, "Michael P. Soulier" writes:
> >> I=B4m looking for an app which can normalize my mp3s under linux.
> >>
> >> All I was able to dig up on myself was "normalize"[0], but this only can=
> >
> >> do with .wav=B4s, and as I=B4m not good (eg I=B4m clueless) at=20
> >> shell-scripting (and perl and almost anything else for that matter) I=20
> >> have no idea how to automatically cope with my 5k+ mp3=B4s...
> >
> >    Seems like a nice idea. Is there anything out there for converting to a
> >    wav and back? Then you could convert, normalize, and mp3 again.
>
> `mpg123 -w` for mp3->wav and gogo to reencode then.
>
> But I´ve no clue how to automate this....manually doing this for >5.000
> mp3´s would be more than a major PITA, I fear.

You can write a simple script:

#!/bin/sh

for i in `find . -name "*.mpr"` ; do
  mpg123 <options> $i `basename $i .mp3`.1.mp3
done

But this will break if there are spaces in the file names. A reall
straight forward solution could be then writing the filenames into a
file and use an emacs macro to explicitly construct the commands...

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@prestonet.com.br
---