Re: Gnome-name-service function???

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 09:42:47PM +0000, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
> Anyone know what the gnome-name-service does?
> THere's no info on my onboard documentation.
> It's part of the gnome-bin.deb packages
> Killing seems to be without ill affect on my stand alone laptop,

It's my understanding it provides the CORBA/ORB lookup; matching
requests for a service by "name" to the actual resource.  But I could be
wrong here.  I don't think too many GNOME apps really make use of it
*yet*.  Anyway, it's a small process so it should hardly make a
difference for system resources.  And, I think processes that might need
it may just restart it if it's not running.  So, I don't think there's
much point in killing it.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>