Re: configuring network card solved.

>>>>> "xucaen" == Xucaen  <xucaen@yahoo.com> writes:
    xucaen>  just FYI for all the newbies who were trying to figure out
    xucaen> how to configure the network card. the easiest way I found
    xucaen> was to reinstall the whole system. The installation program
    xucaen> is very easy to use and sets up all the files. (It is also
    xucaen> very easy to miss). I re-reinstalled again lastnight and
    xucaen> there it was; network card, gateway, hostname, IP,
    xucaen> nameservers..  I'm surprised that debian doesn't have this
    xucaen> installation program available after installation is
    xucaen> completed so that we can go back and change/add network
    xucaen> settings......
    xucaen>

If you are going to give advice to newbies, make sure it is good
advice. Reinstalling Debian just to reconfigure the network interfaces
is overkill to say the least, and bad advice to give to newbies who are
probably just getting over the install. Yeah, ask them to do it one more
time!

Network interface configuration is done through the
/etc/network/interfaces file[1], and a text editor. This file is very
well documented in its manpage:

man interfaces

It would be worthwhile to spend 10-15 minutes reading that manpage and
understanding how that file works together with the
/etc/init.d/networking startup scripts to configure/deconfigure network
interfaces , rather than spend the > 15 minutes reinstalling Debian.

I'll concede this much though: it would be nice to have a dialog/curses
based tool that reconfigures network interfaces in the same way as is
done during the Debian install.

[1] Some of the other files where network settings are configured are:

/etc/resolv.conf (Nameserver settings)
/etc/hosts
/etc/hostname
/etc/network/options