Unidentified subject!

Hi,
I recently switched from  RedHat 6.2 to potato and my cdrom seems to have the following problems :
Most of the time I get errors like :

hdb: irq timeout: status=0xc0 { Busy }
hdb: ATAPI reset complete

Sometimes I also get errors like :

attempt to access beyond end of device
03:40: rw=0, want=33, limit=0
dev 03:40 blksize=1024 blocknr=32 sector=64 size=1024 count=1
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=03:40, iso_blknum=16, block=32
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
       instead of some logical partition inside?)

And often it works too !
The CDROM is 44x IDE cdrom.
The didn't happen in redhat so I expect it is a configuration problem of some srt . Could you please guide me to the appropriate literature or give a tip or two ?

Sincerely
Balbir Thomas