Re: swap space and memory

Denzil Kelly wrote:

> Initially I installed a slink on this box, and at the
> time I had 64 MB of RAM however I was unable to make a
> swap partition of 128 MB. I later added another 64 MB
> of RAM. I tried to resize my /home partition but
> something went wrong and I wound up reformatting the
> hard drive, and installed storm, then mandrake for a
> few weeks. Mandrake allowed me to make a swap
> partition of 128 MB. When I got the debian 2.2(potato)
> cd's, I reformatted and installed potato which is what
> I'm using now. The reason I was concerned is because
> I've noticed that after about 9-11 days of running
> this box crashes, and forces me to restarts. I was
> wondering if this might have been the problem.
>
> debian kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for
> kswapd...

from what i've heard on this list that error is a kernel
bug. maybe a memory leak, but i must admit on all the systems
i run linux on (about 40) i have not yet once experienced it.
I suggest just adding more swap, or more memory, or something.
try 2.2.18 if you haven't already it may fix it. i run everything
from 2.2.5 to 2.2.17 ..never seen that error. of course i always
am sure to have plenty of memory and plenty of swap.

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336