truetype fonts present but not working

I'm running xfstt on a testing (migrated from Potato) box.  The fonts are
loaded in X and I can see them in the Netscape font dialog, but when I switch
the them, the font is always the same and it loses all scaling (h1 text is the
same size as standard paragraph text).  I remember on other distros that one
needed a fonts.dir file in the truetype directory created by ttmkfdir, which
I've been unable to locate via apt-cache search.  Would this be the case or is
it something else?

This happens with any truetype font, and the font that is actually displayed is
always the same font (not sure which -- I'm assuming it's just a fall back).

Anyone have any suggestions?

-Rob