Re: Problems with commercial program.

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Note:  it appears you're replying to a mirror or peer of this list
> hosted at Virginia Tech.  Just FYI it makes replies slightly painful --
> my usual list response doesn't recognize your address.  You might
> consider subscribing directly to debian-user.

It was typo on my part in an original send, and when I resent it I forgot
to adjust the to: header. Any one who has repsonded or tried to respond,
please accept my apologies.

__SNIPPED REDUNDANT STUFF__

> I'm not an expert at reading strace, but my read is that you're either
> running into a memory allocation error (which would explain the
> segmentation fault), or you clipped your strace output after the error
> occured.

I agree that was my thoughts too, but with limited C knowledge I was n't
100% sure.

> You might also look at your library linkages and see what this app wants
> to link to.  'ldd' will do this.  The 'ltrace' command is an equivalent
> to strace for tracking library calls.  I'm suspecting a minor library
> variation between RH and Debian is tripping you up.
I did the ldd and although it does link against libc.so.6 (as the program
requires) it also links against libc.so.5, ridiculous in my opinion. I
have sent a message to some of the iplanet support newsgroups,
unfortunatley I don't have a support agreement with them so unless someone
in the groups knows of the problem I guess I am stuck.

> You might also try contacting the developer directly -- they may know of
> other users who've attempted to run under Debian.
>
> WRT Debian and RH, the general trend seems to be to approach the Debian
> way, but that's a long argument.  We're aware of RH, and to a large
> extent, it's nice for them to make mistakes that we can avoid.

I will not even pretend to be able to resolve such a problem on my own (I
thank everybody for their advice). I do have a concern that this may not
be the only software that is having this problem, which is why I mention
it here and not to all commercial developers. I will seek an answer with
iplanet and if I find a resolution for it I will let this list know of it,
I only hope that this is the only commercial app with this problem. One
app with this problem is a problem for the app. If their are many it could
be a problem for Debian. But with the high quality of Debian, I am
thinking it is probably just this app.

Thanks for every ones help,

Stewart James