Re: Is my server attacked and "rooted"?

Ola Muan wrote:

> Hi Debianers,
>
> I have a little problem with a server that I am in charge of. Unfortunately
> my Linux skills ain't too good yet. The server runs Debian with kernel
> version 2.2.12. When I ssh into the server, the bash prompt freezes
> immediately after the login is complete, no matter what username I choose to
> use.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's going on? Have someone rooted the server and
> tampered with the bash program? How do I fix it? Any help appreciated!
>
> Please copy reply to my address, since I can't deal with the huge traffic on
> this list.

i have seen a similar problem when a hdd on the system died. the load
can get so
high that the system has a hard time running. when you connect/login
does it
go real fast or is there a big pause inbetween the connect and the
login?

and when it freezes are you comming from the same ip everytime? if its a
different ip its possible that if the machine was cracked someone put up
a script to firewall incoming connections, since SSH stores the ip
of the client in a shell variable, it would be quite easy to do(i use
that variable to page me hwe users login to my boxes)

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336