Re: Adding a new HD and useing it as swap

Calyth wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just got a new SCSI HD, it's 1GB and I would like to use part of it to
> replace my current swap drive.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, a GIG of swap?!?

> The only problem is that after partitioning, where should I configure so
> linux would see my new swap as default and forget about the old swap?

Look at /etc/fstab.  Run mkswap on the new disk, change fstab so that it
points to the new disk instead of the old disk/partition, reboot.

> also since it's scsi, and I have id 4,5 taken, should it put it to 6 so
> it won't mess around the numbers, and if so what device name will it
> take?

Yes, 6 would be good.  Assuming that 4 and 5 are also disks (not CD-ROMs
or similar), the new disk should be /dev/sdc.  If 5 is a CD-ROM, the new
disk would (IIRC, prolly wrong) be /dev/sdb.

--
-=|JP|=-                "Why, oh, why didn't I take the blue pill?"
Jon Pennington        | Atipa Linux Solutions   -o)

6D04 39E0 CAE9 9ADA 2CA3  2EBE 898A 6C37 CA1E A29C