irq problems

Trying to install Debian on a desktop machine that also has Windows 2000 running on it. I can't get sound and the modem to work, and have found that my modem, sound card, and ethernet card all share IRQ 11. Seems to be no problem for Windows, but Linux doesn't see the sound card or modem. These are PCI cards without the jumpers that I was used to for setting IRQs, so I haven't a clue where to go from here. If it's a matter of different hardware, where is a good place to go for Linux-compatible hardware recommendations?

Thanks.

Michael