Re: overly-strange reaction of modem to pon

A R wrote:

Christoph Simon wrote:

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:28:17 -0500
A R <arodriguez@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

What command exactly is needed?

Try to turn on debugging (debug/kdebug in the ppp option file) and
read the output. Most probably it'll give you a hint.

Write "debug" on one line and "kdebug 1" on another in
"/etc/ppp/options". Most probably you don't even have to write it, just
uncomment it there.  Try to make sure that this is the option file you
actually use. If you don't get any logging, it wasn't :-) I think
there was a command to display that, but as I was using ppp before pon
and poff existed, I can't tell. You should also find it in
syslog. I do remember having watched it in a different terminal using
"tail -f /var/log/syslog".

Well, I got it the first way, through removal of "#" in options.
Now, where is all this going to be stored-written to?
By the way, nothing could be found from Erik's advice:
tail -f /var/log/ppp.log
since I didn't have any ppp.log file there.

Do you have a reset (usually ATZ) in your init string? If not, you're likely to get different behaviour from your modem from one session to the next.