Re: 3c509 is being annoying

This just happened to a guy on our local LUG list.  It was an I/O or
interrupt port conflict. He just changed the setting by adding this line
in /etc/lilo.conf:

append="ether=IRQ,I/O"

where IRQ and I/O are your settings.

If you run:

cat /proc/ioports
cat /proc/interrupts

You ought to be able to confirm this is the problem; then go from there.