Re: yet another ppp failure story...

At 5:42 PM -0800 12/19/00, Dwight Johnson wrote:

Show us your chatscript.

My chat script looks like this:
'TIMEOUT' '30'
'ABORT' 'BUSY'
'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
'ABORT' 'NO ANSWER'
'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
'ABORT' 'RING'
'ABORT' '% User/password invalid'
'' 'ATZ'
'OK-+++\c-OK' 'AT &F1 L W2 Q0 V1 E1 &D2 &C1 S0=0 S7=150+MS=56'
'OK' 'ATDT5551000'
'CONNECT 42000' ''
'User Access Verification--User Access Verification' ''
'sername:--sername:' 'wcrowshaw'
'assword:' 'mypassword'
'>' 'ppp'

The ugly init screen above is basically the one I run on my mac using the same modem to connect to my ISP. I've checked it with the modem manual and its pretty non-controversial.

Try dialing in using minicom. An immediate hangup like you are getting
suggests a possible problem with your modem.

Minicom will show you what you get back from your ISP when your call first
gets answered.

I will try minicom tomorrow night.

Set kdebug to 7 and observe the dialup dialog with your chatscript.

It's not even starting an authentication dialog suggesting that TCP/IP is
not getting started. See if you can get it started manually in minicom.

Hope some of these ideas help.

Dwight

--
W. Crowshaw