Re: Whoops

    Ivan> Whoops, for some reason my previous message ended up in the
    Ivan> subject line as well.

Please do not post HTML to Usenet, period.
Especially on a UNIX group, most of us are using text-based readers.

    Ivan> I am currently running Corel linux and I am quite happy
    Ivan> with it.  However, I have heard about how Corel may dump
    Ivan> their distribution in the near future.  In addition, their
    Ivan> progress has been slower than Debian.  What I like most
    Ivan> about the Corel distribution is the package manager.  I
    Ivan> really like how dependencies are handled automatically
    Ivan> (through a nice GUI interface).  I tried Red Hat and
    Ivan> Mandrake, but their package managers didn't seem to do this
    Ivan> (maybe I just gave up on them too fast).  In addition, they
    Ivan> both locked up my system several times.  Maybe recompiling
    Ivan> the kernel would have helped this.  Anyway, I am thinking
    Ivan> about moving to Debian.  However, I was wondering if it is
    Ivan> much trouble getting KDE2 running on Debian.  If so, could
    Ivan> somebody suggest another distribution based on Debian.

Automatic dependency handling is a feature of APT, not of Corel's
package manager.  You'll find that it performs even better with
Debian, since there are no awkward "corel" versions of packages that
actually break dependencies.

One GUI frontend is "gnome-apt".  Other console-based frontends
include "console-apt", "aptitude", and good old "dselect".

There is also "stormpkg" - the package manager from the Storm
distribution, now retrofitted into the Debian main distribution.
I have not tried it, but I hear newbies like it.

KDE2 is included with Debian.

-tor