Re: 3c509 is being annoying

> I have disabled pnp and the card insmods well. I can also give it an
> address with ifconfig and ping to the card, but I am unable to ping
> another host (and vice versa). As far as I know I have no firewall running

Sounds like routing to me... dunno what though, if you use a 2.2 kernel it
should automagically make atleast one route, here is the most simple
routing table I could think of:

leen:~# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

What you need is, one route to the 'local network' something like:
192.168.1.0 for example or 192.168.0.0, also (if you want to connect to
the outside world, a router/gateway to connect too:
'route add default gw 192.168.1.1' for example)

Here is an example /etc/network/interfaces:
# An example ethernet card setup: (broadcast and gateway are optional)
#
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.42
    network 192.168.0.0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway 192.168.0.1
(taken from /usr/share/doc/netbase/examples/interfaces)

This should set it up correctly.

Also what could be the problem is that you have no/wrong nameservers
configured in /etc/resolf.conf:
nameserver 192.168.1.1

(just an example ofcourse)

Because if you have that problem, then that would also be a reason you
can't connect to the outside world (or inside even, if you use a namebased
system).

> and no special options in /etc/hosts.deny.

hosts.deny, doesn't do anything for you personally, only for people
connecting to your computer.

Just some ideas, before I go to sleep...... ZZZZZzzzzz.