Re: Which IMAP server to use

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Juergen Fiedler wrote:

> Thanks for the hint. I would much prefer to use a server that is secure.
> Even as we speak, I am connected to my current IMAP from work. I'd rather
> not be restricted to reading my private mail from home.

Don't let such alarmist talk scare you.  uw-imapd is quite secure.  I must
admit the authors approach to security gives people queasy feelings
though.  Nevertheless, there haven't been any exploits for a long time and
I feel quite safe using it.

> On the other hand, I like the fact that the UW IMAP uses the traditional
> mailbox format. Cyrus doesn't do that, does it? Is there a way to access
> cyrus' mail database with a POP server?

The special format is the reason cyrus performs better.   You can get
similiar performance increases with uw-imapd by using mbx format but that
also isn't compatible with the traditional format.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>