Re: Packages sorted by group

Rudi Borth <rborth@orc.ca> wrote:
>Debian packages are listed alphabetically in
>indices/Packages-Master-i386.gz available from
><http://www.debian.org/distrib/ftplist.html>. About two dozen
>groups of packages are defined in
><http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.html>.
>
>Question: Is there a file showing packages grouped under those two
>dozen group headings? If not, what is the point of the
>'packages.html' file?

dselect shows packages sorted by these groups, as (I believe) will most
of the various apt frontends like console-apt and aptitude.
Alternatively, you could install the grep-dctrl package and use its
extensive searching facilities to produce lists.

Um, you can also see the packages in each group linked from the page you
mention, e.g. <URL:http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/> - or is
that not what you meant?