PS/2 Mouse

I've built a third box to experiment and learn - it's time I really
understand the basics! The idea was to have Potato, Storm and three
rpm based installations and compare the different ways things are
arranged. I've tried to install Storm before but given up as it
continually defaulted to PS/2 for the mouse and I couldn't set things
up as I wanted. All mice I've used to date have been serial ones.

At a Computer Fair I picked up some cheap CD's for Storm 2.02,
Caldera, Turbo and Mandrake and a two button Microsoft Mouse
described as 'Mouse Port Compatible Mouse 2.1A' with PS/2 connector.

All installations went fine and filled a 10.2Gig IDE hard drive and I
used the mouse throughout.

Now whilst the mouse works with each of the three non-Debian distros,
it does not with either Storm or Potato (I mean within X). I think
I've traced the problem but have no idea how to eradicate it. On
Potato /dev/mouse is linked to /dev/gpmdata. So it was on Storm until
I altered that link to /dev/psaux which I assumed to be correct. The
mouse works on neither. I'd not heard of gpm before - I've looked at
man gpm but do not completely understand its relevance, is it not for
console work?

I've installed Kde on Potato and Gnome on Storm - (again for
comparison purposes), but can log into neither. How do I deal with
this mouse?     Grateful for any advice.          John.