The lazy-"E"-character affair

I'm running a pure potato flavour of debian2.2 updated with the
'official' package r2 in debian sites, under "stable" version.

The problem is that when I type the "E" letter in "vi" insert mode,
I have a two or three second delay between typing and appairing
of lazy "E" on my monitor.

The "vi" command is a symlink to /usr/bin/elvisnox;

elvisnox in a shell script that says:

---------------------begin--------------------------

paolo@ProteoTien:/etc$ less /usr/bin/elvisnox
#!/bin/sh

# This is a little "wrapper" shell script, which runs elvis with
# the GUI set to always be termcap, useful for people (like me) that _hate_
# all these evil attempts to make "vi" ito a graphical editor.  ;-)

exec /usr/bin/elvis -G termcap "$@"

This strange phenomenon appairs also if I run the pure 'elvis' command,
without wrappers or other options.
It appears in: console, Xterm, gnome-terminal (I hate Eterm ;)) but
NOT appens in 'elvis X11' under Xfree in the debian menu.

It happens *only* with "E" character.

For reproducing: run elvis; press i; press E.

Sob!!!

Any idea?

             paolo massei