security question: running a public ftp server

dear all,

i'm playing around with putting up a public ftp server on my woody box.

i know that ftp has its security problems; in fact, the beowulf cluster i
managed at school was broken into via a wuftpd vulnerability.

can someone point me to documentation specifically aimed at beefing up
security of ftp and apache?   everything is behind an LRP (linux router
project) firewall, so i'm pretty secure otherwise.  i let hardly anything in
or out, everything gets logged, and i actually look at the logs.  i run tara
every so often, and i'm very conscious about password security.

however, i'm curious about vulnerabilities in the ftp and www daemons
themselves.

any tips on running an ftp server?  pointers?

much obliged!

peter

--
Just upgraded to Woody?  Don't have permission to run X?             linux
In Xwrapper.config, change allowed_users from root to console.         -