Cannot read HDDs, help!

Hi,

I am having a very bad problem now.  I got a multibay carrier to add a second HDD
on my Compaq LTE 5200 laptop, so I was trying to back up the filesystem to another
HDD.  Then, I shutdown the system, and the message said the system has been
halted.  I then pulled out the multibay carrier (to replace with another HDD), but
apparently, there is something funny going on (even though it said the system has
halted), the LCD display went crazy.  Anyway, that must have been a grave damage,
as now I can no longer boot the computer.  From BIOS setup, I realize that all HDDs
are not being recognized.  Even floppy diskettes are not being read.

Can any one tell me what has happened?  Is it possible to fix this problem?  I
appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Best wishes,
Chip