Re: Manpages

On Thu 14 Dec 00,  6:36 PM, Chris said...
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Debian.
> I have installed the base system.
> >From here I want to learn and am told the manpages are a good start.
> When I type:
>
> 	man apt-get
>
> for example, the system replies that Bash does not know what man is.

hi there, chris.  sorry to hear about your woes.   that is absolutely WILD
that the man pages weren't installed.  sounds like your install didn't
complete correctly.   do you have a friend who knows a bit more about debian
who can help you?

the man executable is installed via package man-db, so i guess you'd do:

apt-get install man-db

but i think you should maybe see if there are any packages which haven't
been fully configured yet.

dpkg -C

will report on all half-installed packages.  also, try:

dpkg --configure --pending

> Do I have to install the manpages?

it should've been done for you.  if it's really not there, then something is
very wrong with your system.

> If so, how to I get them through apt-get?

see above.

> Further, do the manpages consist of more that one file?

yes, you at least one file for each man page.  if you want to start counting
directories, then you have more than 1 file for each man page.  :)

good luck!
pete