RE: I'm Confused with SBLive!

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Robert Guthrie <rguthrie@pobox.com>
Para: Javier Sieben <jsieben@netverk.com.ar>; Debian User
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Fecha: Jueves, 14 de Diciembre de 2000 05:30 p.m.
Asunto: Re: I'm Confused with SBLive!

>I was able to download 2.2.17 kernel sources, where the emu10k1 module was
>present.  I used kernel-package to compile my kernel (with emu10k1 module,
no
>other sound modules were needed).   I use dpkg -i on my custom kernel .deb
>pacakge and then ran modconf.  Worked fine for me, though you only get the
>analog outputs with that version.  I don't know if the digital outs will
work
>with any other module sources, but if all you want is analog sound, that's
>the way to go.
>
>Plus, you get to pare down your kernel to what you need.  The 2.2.18
sources
>should work just as well.

With the kernel compiling I have no problems.
At the first time I try to compiling and install the ALSA tar.gz without
knowing that the kernel in the distribution was a pre and not a final
version.
In a previous mail question I've received that the final includes the
emu10k1 module.
But in my attempts of building the ALSA, I have broken any configuration
(esound, etc) and I can't hear any noise.
When I load with insmod, it loads the modules soundcore.o and emu10k1. I can
hear sounds from a CD player, control his volume with a mixer, but I can't
use any mp3 player because the /dev/dsp don't connect with the module.

(I can't send any output messages because I'm switching between Win98 &
Linux. I have a poor motherboard that have the modem integrated... GRRR!!!)

Javier