Re: serving user's homes with apache

For one thing, the user's home directory must be excecutable (otherwise apache
can't cd to it).  Also, apache must be configured to know which directory in
$HOME is the "magic" one.  I believe that public_html is the default.  Also,
public_html must be both world readable and world executable.

(When discussing directories, executable means that you can cd to it,  if it is
readable, but not executable you can ls it but not cd,  if it is executable but
not readable you can cd but not ls -- this is what you want      ( rwx-----x
$HOME )  and ( rwx---r-x   $HOME/public_html )

HTH,
-D