Re: Debian & Apt-get

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 09:49:42PM -0700, Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed the base Debian system and am now installing additional
> items.
> I plan to use the apt-get, but there appear to be a lot of options for using
> it.
> In addition, there appear to be other commands such as apt-cache.

apt-cache is usefull for searching: "apt-cache search foo" displays
all packages that have foo in their description. (dpkg can do this
only with installed packages, apt-cache does this for all you have in
your /etc/apt/sources.list (don't forget "apt-get update"))

apt-cdrom is for adding package-information of cd-roms

--
Thomas Guettler
Office: <guettli@interface-business.de> www.interface-business.de