Re: Compiling stuff

See comments inserted below.

Peter Hugosson-Miller <pehu@im.se> wrote:

: I've just put my brave hat on and compiled my kernel for the first
: time. Thanks to Robert Guthrie and his tip to use kernel-package,
: and KMDWAF, everything just worked first try!

: I do have a couple of questions, though.

: 1) There were many warnings during the compile, although no errors
: that I noticed (bit difficult to be sure, as they flash by so
: quickly). Is this normal, or should I be analysing this (this is
: 2.2.17 from the source on the 2.2r0 CD BTW).

Those warnings are normal. They are warnings to the programmer
that there MAY be a problem.

: 2) I've noticed that my machine boots faster, and some things run
: quite a lot faster than before. This I would kind of expect, as I
: selected the Pentium II option in xconfig. This got me thinking,
: maybe there are other packages that would benifit from being
: recompiled. Advice in this area would be most welcome.

: 3) Everything seems to work OK, but there could still conceivably
: be some nasty problems lurking around waiting to be discovered.
: Any tips as how I would look for these (or am I just being too
: paranoid)?                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^                              |
           |                              |
	   +------- Yes! -----------------+

: This last is interesting especially, as if all is well I plan to
: go for the 2.2.18 patch to try and talk to my Rio 500 via USB as
: a next stage, and I want to be sure I'm on the right track before
: I start.

: --
: Cheers!
:    .~.