Re: how to fake from address in an email

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 03:39:08PM -0700, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> "Leen Besselink" <leen@wirehub.nl> writes:
> > > We need to send out an email response from a CGI when someone places an
> > > order, but we want to set the from address to something other than the
> > > user/machine where the CGI is running. How to do this with the various
> > > email packages? Currently using exim, but may switch to postfix or
> > > sendmail.
> >
> > I think you need something like trusted user/hosts (localhost ?) and or
> > relaying (but don't allow relaying for every1 !).
> >
> > Just look it up (the ways this is achieved in the packages can be very
> > different so).
>
> If they're using exim it's just a matter of adding a an appropriate
> rewrite rule, no need to worry about relaying or anything like that. I
> think that when you install exim there's even a nice setup for you
> already in /etc/exim.conf, you just need to uncomment it and add the
> alias to /etc/email-addresses. For example, at the end of my
> /etc/exim.conf file I have:
>
> *@hennigan.bogus        ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
>                                                 {$value}fail} bcfrF
>
> The file /etc/email-addresses has the following line it:
>
> glhenni: glhenni@sandia.gov
>
> The domain of my little LAN at home is hennigan.bogus so any email I
> send out would, for example, have "glhenni@hennigan.bogus" as the
> address if I didn't do something with it. Obviously there aren't a
> whole lot of DNS servers (only one in fact, my own) that can resolve
> hennigan.bogus. So exim takes the * --> glhenni and looks in
> /etc/email-addresses for "glhenni" it finds "glhenni@sandia.gov" and
> replaces all occurences of "glhenni@hennigan.bogus" with
> "glhenni@sandia.gov" and sends the email out.
>
> I used to know how to read that little Exim rewrite rule, but that
> knowledge has gone the way of the dinosaur. You'll have to read the
> Exim manual if you're interested in the details.
>
> As for sendmail and postfix I'm sure they both have a similar
> mechanism, but I'm not familiar with either of them. RTFM for sendmail
> and postfix and look what they use for rewrite rules.

For sendmail configurations based on the standard "reference" configuration
file (which, as far as I know, the debian 8.9 package is), masquerading is
accomplished by turning on one rule, and setting the masquerade domain.

Check the setting of the:

DM

macro, and rulesets S93 and S94.

I don't know exim . . . sorry.