bash tries to execute not existing binaries

Hi!

Not a big problem, but I'd like to know if there is a better solution for
that:

I had a self compiled binary "/usr/local/bin/blah". Another version of this
binary is in "/usr/bin/blah". The bash path is set to take the one from
/usr/local first, executing it works fine.
After deleting /usr/local/bin/blah, the bash tells me "/usr/local/bin/blah no
such file or directory" after typing "blah" at the prompt. Using a new
terminal solves this problem.
Is there a more elegant way to "rehash" the binary paths?

Thanks,
-Cajus