configuring diald with ppp (out of the box)

Hi,
I just recently installed diald on my debian box (running latest woody
and 2.4 test kernel) for the first time but I haven't been able to get
it to run yet.

The only error message generated is a ppp connect script failed which
the diald gui package will display if you attempt to establish the
connection from there instead.

pon and poff scripts work fine, and diald seems to configure itself
correctly in the diald.options.provider file (or whichever).

Ergo, I don't understand why ppp would fail to connect.

Could it be a permissions problem?
Could it be linked to it not running on a tty, as is covered in one of
the readme files? - If so what can i do about it?
If not is there a way to generate a more verbose errorlog or find out
why it can't connect?

I'm sure this is a generic problem, but since all the faqs and man pages
start off with assuming diald will run your connect script correctly I'm
not sure how to find out what is wrong.

even a one line pointer appreciated

caoilte