Re: Problem with xdvi!!!

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 01:40:34PM +0100, Angel Parra wrote:
> Hello!
>
> 	I am using debian 2.2 and sometimes I use programs as Lyx, xemax, ...
> and all works fine, but when I use the xdvi to see some file, it doesn't
> work. The erros code is the same if I try it from the X-window server in
> Win98 or from the Linux X-Window.
>

> 	Error code:
>

> 			> xdvi a.dvi
> 			X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
> 		  	Major opcode of failed request:  55 (X_CreateGC)
> 			Serial number of failed request:  31
> 			Current serial number in output stream:  298
>

> 	Can anybody help me????

Well, maybe . . . did you compile and install TeX yourself?!  That error
message usually comes from attempting to use an XDvi that has been compiled
against the Athena widget set, and then somebody attempts to use the 3D
Athena Widget set instead.

I've seen this error on HPUX when I compiled up TeX by hand, and configured
XDvi to link against the 3D Athena widget set.

Recompiling XDvi, after configuring it to use straight X (no widget set)
solved the problem.  If you just installed TeX packages, then maybe
the only solution is for you to look at your libraries, and see if you
haven't inadvertently soft linked the Xaw libraries to the Xaw3d
libraries, which might also cause this problem.

Hope that helps,

John S.